March 28, 2010

The Strangers (2008)


I've been meaning to review this one ever since I saw it in theaters. Well, for the sake of not having one of the TWILIGHT the first blog you see when you come to my blog, I felt the need to review this.

This film was probably one of the most tense movies I've seen in a long time. I got a little freaked out by it and I have to say that I thought it was honestly one of the best horror-esque movies I've seen in years. I got sick of the same stuff every time I would watch a horror film, but this movie made me remember why I loved them so much. And it was perfect. I honestly thought this movie did everything right, for once because you never see that anymore.

It really worked on the basic fear that any human being has. Being a lone in the house, and things going bump in the night. Being mentally fucked with beyond belief, with no rhyme or reason. Emotions run high, chills up and down your spine, you're helpless, as the fear takes over. This film is dangerous and scary. I can't imagine why a horror fan wouldn't dig this one.

Bryan Bertino both wrote and directed this flick, and he did an amazing job at that. He is great with his framing, shots, as well as overall pacing when it comes to setting up a scare, as well as the execution of it. The relationship between Kristen and James (Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman) was great. Their on screen chemistry worked very well.

A planned sequel is in the works. I was originally a little hesitant about it once I read about it, but as I looked more into it, I say 'bring it on,' because I cannot wait to see what the 'Strangers' have in store for us next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment